If spending quality time with your whānau (family), engaging in new activities, and creating lasting memories sounds like your ideal family adventure, the Otago Central Rail Trail is the place to be.
Here are just a few ideas to get your adventure started!
- Step back in time and post a letter the old-fashioned way at the Ophir Post Office, NZ's oldest operating post office.
- Peek into the past by exploring the historic jail behind the Ophir Post Office.
- Uncover the genius of Kiwi inventors Ernst and Hannah Hayes at Hayes Engineering in Oturehua, their home and business.
- Treat yourself to lollies or a ‘mean as’ ice cream at the historic Gilchrist Store in Oturehua, New Zealand's oldest continuously trading store—a true living museum!
- Discover the wonders of our Solar System with model planets (Interplanetary Ride) placed along the trail.
- Try your hand at curling, an ancient Scottish sport, at the Maniototo international curling rink in Naseby — an activity available all year round.
- Get a trail passport for each family member and collect stickers at the former railway stations along the route.
- Relish the delectable food, including local pies, and experience warm local hospitality in the historic towns you encounter.
- Enjoy the local rivers to cool off (Children will need adult supervision & to check for safe swimming spots) / or swimming pools in Alexandra / Ophir.