Some Tips for a wonderful Rail Trail experience…
• Accommodation: Book your accommodation well in advance and don't risk a chilly night under the stars.
• Drinking water: Take plenty of bottled water with you. You can buy more at trail-side businesses. (Water from hotel/cafe bathrooms may not be drinking water.)
• There are eco-toilets along the Trail - see the OCRT leaflet. Toilets in cafes and hotels are provided for customers.
• ATM machines: Do carry cash in case Eftpos is not available. ATM machines are in Alexandra and Ranfurly.
• Gates: Leave them as you find them.
• Horses: Ride at walking pace and in single file on the side of the trail. Lead over bridges and through tunnels. Remove dung from the trail. Don’t go on the Trail with easily-spooked horses.
• Dogs are allowed on the Trail but must be kept under control at all times.
• Livestock: Don’t disturb/rescue stock in paddocks, especially during lambing (Aug to Oct). Please do not herd stray animals on the track into a paddock... you don't know which farm they belong to.
• Cattle stops: be careful, these allow a maximum width of less than 1 metre.
• Rubbish: Do take it away with you.
• Fire arms and open fires are prohibited on the Trail.
• Vehicles: Don’t bring cars, motorcycles, quad bikes on to the Trail.
• Mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs are permitted on the trail
• Food & Refreshments: If you are travelling as a large group and plan to eat at a particular cafe or pub, they will appreciate you phoning ahead. Don't risk offence by eating your own food in a pub's garden bar.