Trail Places

Hyde

  • Hyde Railway Memorial

    Hyde Railway Memorial

    Past the Hyde Station is ‘Straw Cutting’ the site of the fatal Hyde ra...Read More

  • Hyde Station

    Hyde Station

    Hyde Station, built in 1894, is located almost 2km from Hyde Township....Read More

  • Hyde School Accommodation & Eatery

    Hyde School Accommodation & Eatery

    Hyde School Accommodation & Eatery is a modern complex made up of a be...Read More

  • Otago Central Hotel Hyde

    Otago Central Hotel Hyde

    This building was erected in 1927 to replace the former Hyde Hotel, de...Read More

This is a popular stop-off for an overnight stay on the long Strath Taieri Valley. On the north side of Hyde you have the scenic Upper Taieri Gorge to look forward to, on the other side, it is a gentle downhill race on the home stretch.

The history of Hyde village reads much the same as many others along the Trail. Early gold miners (2000 of them), then pioneer sheep farmers, then the coming of the Railway, with construction workers – and now Rail Trailers. But Hyde had some other minerals to put it on the map – scheelite, pure white silica sand for glass making, schist rock used by builders, and “white ball” clay, still used for fine pottery (see the clay pit from Eton Street).

The old Hyde Railway station, 2km south of the village, has recently been purchased by the Otago Central Rail Trail Trust and is open to the public.  Several old buildings in the village have also been restored and provide accommodation.  Cycling south, you will come to a stone cairn, a sobering memorial to the 21 people who died in the tragic Hyde train crash on 6 June 1943.

Those with time to spare may like to organise a tour to the nearby Macraes Flat open cast Oceana Gold Mine. The remains of the Old Golden Point Battery nearby is a stark contrast to modern technology. Stop for refreshments at Stanleys Hotel, the bar is lined with gold mining memorabilia. Built in 1882, the stonemason took 5 years to build it - he was paid in ale.