Central Otago has been called “Mountain Bikers Heaven” by those in the know.
If you like riding with others, contact the local bike stores for more information about “Ride with the Locals” – this group have local knowledge, as well access to private trails.
Easy trails (including our Rail Trail) are ideal for family groups or those who just want to get outdoors and away from traffic. Try…
* The Anniversary Track between Alexandra and Clyde
* Graveyard Gully to Roxburgh Gorge Riverside Track.
* Naseby Forest – follow the easier Water Race trail.
More Advanced Trails –
Central’s dry hills are the perfect playground for mountain bike thrill-seekers.
For experienced mountain bikers who don’t mind a bit of leg-burn on the way up, the views are worth it, and of course there’s the downhill buzz to follow. Or treat yourself to a heli-biking trip.
Shorter trails –
* Old Coach Road and Little Valley Road – explore the hills across the Manuherikia River from Alexandra.
Longer Trails – it is better to explore these higher altitude trails in summer or autumn, but still be prepared for mountain weather – guided tours available.
* Oteake Conservation Park – a network of trails
* Mt Buster – Johnstones Creek
* Manorburn to Poolburn
* Knobby Range
* Thompsons Gorge through the Dunstan Mountains
* Old Man Range trails
* Old Dunstan Road