Railway Heritage

Omakau Station

Construction brought the railway to Omakau in 1904.  Prior to that the Manuherikia Valley's main population centre was Ophir, a gold mining town 3km away and a worthwhile side trip when biking the Trail.

Omakau Station became one of New Zealand's biggest stock handling stations, loading almost 120 thousand head of stock in 1962 alone.  The stockyards were located on what is now vacant land between the still remaining goods shed and the main road.