The Middlemarch Station is an important example of a medium-sized rural station. Built in 1891 at the end of the Taieri Gorge Railway it provided Otago Central farmers with access to the vital transport system for moving their produce to coastal markets.
The arrival of the railway saw the town of Middlemarch grow dramatically. The building, initially small, expanded to include a Post Office and a ladies waiting room that was later converted to an office for a caretaker. In 1980 the stockyards closed and in 1990 when the Otago Central Branch closed the Taieri-Middlemarch section was purchased by Dunedin City Council.
The station is still a significant building in Middlemarch and is part of a rural railway precinct that is know to be the most preserved in New Zealand.
Address: Snow Avenue, Middlemarch,