The first sod was cut with a solid silver spade at the site of Lauder Station on 3 June 1899.
118 years later the Station is finally back on site. The Lauder Railway Station building was hauled 400m by crane and truck from a private Lauder property and placed beside the Otago Central Rail Trail.
The building previously lay there from 1904 to 1985, until it was sold to a Lauder resident when the station shut down.
The Lauder Beautification Society raised about $120,000 through grants and community fundraisers for the move and for restoration. Broken timber will be replaced, the building repainted, and it will be filled with memorabilia about the area for visitors to view.